In any home, the bathroom is more than just a place to wash and clean up. It also serves as a sanctuary – one of the few rooms in the house where you can retreat. This is what makes cozy bathroom design very important. No matter whether it’s summer, winter, autumn, or spring, a comfortable, cozy bathroom is one of the best places to relax and unwind.
Essentially, your bathroom should help you get refreshed as you prepare to face the coming day. It should be the place where you also wash away the stresses of the day in the evening. So, if the current condition of your bathroom feels a bit cold, there are a few easy ways you can vamp it up and transform it to feel warm and inviting.
In this post, we’ll be focusing on the bathroom and the elements that can help you make it feel more relaxing and inviting.
Have a Clear Focal Point
One of the first things to do is to introduce an area of visual emphasis as the main highlight decor in the bathroom. This will draw an instant attention, inviting anyone to step inside and enjoy the experience. The good thing about it is that you can choose a focal point from a wide variety of things.
Here are a few ways to achieve contrast:
• Color and Patterns: You can achieve this be painting the wall in a striking color that stands out from the rest of your bathroom’s decor. Alternatively, you can use a design element like contrasting or mosaic tiles or a panel that makes the wall pop.
• Elegance: If you can, go for stylish bathroom features such a standalone or a gorgeous vanity bath. Vanity baths are great for adding focal points as you can enhance them with extra details like tiling all around the mirror, which adds interest and heightens the ambience of the bathroom. A standalone bath with gorgeous contours can add a special touch to your bathroom.
• Special highlights: Quartz countertops with features like sunken basins help to create an engaging bathroom highlight, with a feeling of luxury. The streamlined design of such a highlight creates a sense of flow, which gently attracts the eyes to this design element.
Mount a Mirror on the Wall
Mirrors are a great way to add warmth to a bedroom, ideally reflecting the elements while adding a 3D effect. Consider adding special touches like mounting his-and-hers mirrors in a shared bathroom. If you have space, it’s wise to go for a full-length mirror, as it lets you see yourself and analyze your body. And if you don’t have a wall for it, you can just place it behind the door.
You can also use mirrors to enhance the style of your bathroom. A traditional mirror with a lovely, delicate frame can be used for a more classic decor, while contemporary designs go well with mirrors with or without sharp or rounded edges.
There are more expensive mirror options that feature a pre-heat function to prevent fogging. Some come with a monitor that turn the mirror into a screen at the push of a button, where you can view videos and catch up with the news. Other models have touch-sensitive controls that communicate with your home’s devices via Wi-Fi, letting you enjoy music without leaving the bathroom.
Use Trendsetting Floor Finishes
Tile flooring, especially the wood-look variety is one of the hottest trends in the flooring industry, and for a reason. Wooden floors tend to create a warm, welcoming effects, not to mention the benefits of incredible durability.
Tiles are also easier to maintain compared to real wood, without sacrificing the innate charm associated with wood. Their manufacturing process also enable porcelain and ceramic tiles to come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, which adds on to the cost-effectiveness and versatility of the design. It also allows for unique effects such as the parquet floor finish.
The wood look also accommodates all bathroom styles, from modern and contemporary to Victorian, classical, and Zen-styled bathrooms.
Try a Rain Showerhead
Showering provides a great alternative to a bathtub; it takes less time to shower, and leaves you refreshed. A good shower can contribute to the cozy feel and ambience of a bathroom with its own special features, and create an inviting world on its own.
A good way to do this is to introduce a little nature into your bathroom with a rainfall showerhead. The overhead design makes the water fall right down, ideally simulating the effect of rain, which gives you a spa-like experience and makes every shower very refreshing.
Besides installing a rain showerhead, there are a few things you can do to make the shower warmer and cozier. For instance, a recess in the shower wall will not only help with the overall organization and storage, but also add a special charm to the room.
Shower seats can also do a great job of expanding the shower experience, and are becoming a trendy option. They let you pamper yourself in the shower while you rest on a seat. The seat can be practical too, providing extra storage for your toiletries.
The shower wall also offers a range of design options to enhance the coziness of your bathroom. For instance, you can create a seamless, unified look by having the tiling theme consistent throughout the bathroom, or add a mosaic pattern to highlight an area.
Use Warm Bathroom Colors
The colors you choose will have a direct impact on the mood and coziness of your bathroom. If your wall colors are too bold and vibrant, you will lose the cozy feeling. Warm and vibrant colors as well as autumn hues can be used to create a cozy look, as long as they are not too intense. Warm hues such as terra-cotta, peach, and pink toned accents tend to vamp up the warmth of the room, and introduce a source of interest.
Here are a few bathroom colors to consider:
• Brown: If you want a calm, earthy look, brown is the perfect color. In any shade, brown tends to create a spa-like, serene ambience. Dark chocolate brown tends to create a more dramatic feel, and can be quite sleek especially when complemented with metallic gold accents. Medium-brown tones have a more soothing effect and pair well with lighter tones.
• Soft gray: this tends to keep things neutral while giving some edge. It gives out the cooling effect of concrete and granite, while still being quite soothing. Try mixing in some dark wood elements, perhaps with the furniture and fittings to warm things up. For a vibrant look, use accents with pops of colors in your accessories, such as a patterned shower curtain or bright towels.
• Light green: Decorating with green creates the feeling of bringing the outdoors in. Green is a rather calming color that tends to cool down a very sunny or bright room. It mixes well with other earthy tones inspired by nature, such as taupe, sand, and brown. A few other light-green variations you can consider include sage or dusty jade for an earthy look; or mint and seafoam for something a bit more fun.
Pamper Your Bathroom with Rugs, Towels, and Toiletries
Toweling can create a more pampered and luxurious feeling in your bathroom. Piles of towels, draperies, comfy rugs, and similar items can be used to create warm and welcoming touches that evoke a cozy feeling. Luxury fluffy towels rolled or folded in your available storage space can create a warm and inviting ambience.
A great idea here is to stack up extra towels using different patterns and colors that complement the style and decor of your bathroom. Special touches like a heated towel rail can contribute to the coziness of the room, with the luxury of a warm towel once you’ve finished your bath.
When it comes to rugs, go beyond the conventional rectangular or round shaped fluffy bath mats and opt for modern designs like patterned or oriental floor runners. This will add a rich color into your bathroom, and complement its style.
Don’t forget to spoil yourself with specialty soaps, bath salts, bubble baths, lotions, and aromatherapy. Add some luxury bath toiletries all around your bathroom.
Lighting has a central role when it comes to setting the mood of a room. So, for your bathroom, go for light fixtures that not only complement the look and feel of your bathroom, but also helps create warmth and allow your colors to look natural.
LED lighting can be used to achieve a special lighting effect under a shelf, vanity, step, or recess, to create a feeling of intimacy. Extra warmth can be achieved by infusing some non-fluorescent lights on either side of the mirror.
Skylights are a great option that allows you to enjoy the bathroom while watching the sunrise or under the stars. Recessed ceiling lights are also great, especially with dimmers as they let you set the intensity of the light to create a sense of cocooned warmth in the bathroom.
Placing a chair or ottoman in your bathroom instantly adds an exotic touch. There’s also some practical value in that it lets you sit and relax as you wait for the bathtub to fill with water. Plus, ottomans come with the advantage of doubling as extra storage.
Furniture really works well in enhancing the style and decor of your bathroom with novelty, which makes the atmosphere appear and feel warmer.
Lastly, consider adding some flowers or greenery to your bathroom. These always look great in warm light, and help to punctuate the room with freshness.